Previous Next Index Thread

FAQ for the marketplace and collecting groups

 Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
 rec.music.{marketplace/collecting} Hierarchies
 Last Update: 30 December 1995
 Copyright 1995 by Ernie Longmire (Lazlo Nibble)
 Additions, corrections, and inquiries to lazlo@swcp.com
 Ernie Longmire, P.O. Box 93775, Albuquerque, NM 87199
 See the end of this file for more detailed copyright info
 The current version of this file is available from:
     ftp://ftp.swcp.com/pub/users/lazlo/marketplace-collecting/
 Thanks to the following for help and suggestions:
     David A. Pearlman <dap@vpharm.com>
     Andrew Russ <endwar@phys.psu.edu>
     Jim Saxe <saxe@pa.dec.com>
 ::: Questions Answered In This FAQ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 General Questions
 G001	How much is my collection worth?
 G002	I have a record/CD/tape with a drill hole/notch cut in the cover.
 	Why are records/CDs/tapes "cut out"?
 G003	I have some items marked "Promotional - Not For Sale".
 	Is it really illegal to buy and sell these?
 G004	I want to buy records from someone outside the US, but I don't want
 	to send cash -- how can I arrange payment?
 CD Questions
 C001	Is "CD Rot" for real?
 	Some of my CDs are turning a bronze color.  What's going on?
 C002	What was the first CD ever?
 C003	I have a mispressed CD -- it's supposed to be by Artist X but it
 	plays a completely different album.  Is it worth anything?
 C004	Why is it illegal to rent CDs but legal to rent out videogame CD-ROMs?
 C005	Where does my money go when I buy a CD?
 C006	What's the longest CD ever pressed?
 Vinyl Questions
 V001	What is an RCA "Shaded Dog" record?  Why are they so valuable?
 V002	What is a test pressing?  Are they collectable?
 V003	Why is the Caine Mutiny soundtrack worth ten thousand dollars or more?
 ::: General Questions ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 G001	How much is my collection worth?
     Any item has two values: how much someone is willing to pay for it,
     and how much someone would have to pay before you'd be willing to
     sell.  Therefore the only people who can really determine the real
     "price" of an item are the buyer and seller.
     It may or may not help to consult a price guide.  Guide authors use
     all kinds of techniques to derive the prices they list, but they can't
     take into account local supply and demand, market fluctuations brought
     on by reissues or changes in people's tastes, or retailer whim.  Supply
     and demand always trumps the price guide.  Some really high guide prices
     are the highest price that item brought at auction somewhere; just
     because there's one person crazy enough to pay that price for the record
     doesn't mean you can expect to find another.
     If you're trying to sell your collection to a dealer and expect him to
     pay you guide price on it, forget it.  Even if he can sell the records
     again for those prices, he's typically only going to want to pay you
     half that price for them -- otherwise he's not making any money in
     selling them.  You can almost always do better in selling your collection