Previous Next Index Thread

Re: Americanisms

 Dave Romm wrote:
 > Really?  Than this is an A/E difference. 'Elastic' for belt...
 No, elastic for elastic.

 > > They might, however, wear a belt with trousers, or a skirt.
 >
 > And trousers are different than pants... how?  Why does a skirt
 > need a belt?

 Trousers are trousers.  Pants are underpants.  Which I find really
 annoying, because I cannot bring myself to call jeans "trousers", but
 I've run into sentences where I wanted to distinguish them specifically
 from skirts/dresses and not really been able to find the right
 construction.  And to make matters worse, saying "blue jeans" is also
 American - here they are just "jeans".
 A. Carol
 Feminists Against Censorship
 http://www.fullfeed.com/hypatia/censor.html
 "[La Prensa] accused us of suppressing freedom of expression.
 This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
 - Nelba Blandon, Interior Ministry of Censorship, quoted in
 the New York Times, 1984.