Previous Next Index Thread

Re: What is Deconstruction

 It would seem to me that it's foolish to deny the importance of culture
 in the way that science proceeds. Culture determines not only what
 questions are asked but also what one considers 'reliable' data. For
 instance, 18th century French astronomers were told of stories of rocks
 falling from the sky, but they denied this occuring with the vigor and
 certainty shown in this group of those who deny the existence of say,
 UFOs or ghosts. This was because the information came to them largely
 from peasants and other non-aristocratic types.  It wasn't until after
 the revolution (with the unwashed masses in charge) that meteorites
 suddenly became plausible.
 So yes, while the boiling point of water is the same for someone in Nepal
 and Germany, whether you think it's important to boil water and measure
 its boiling point and whether you believe the data you get is influenced
 heavily by culture. And yes, while sometimes the universe answers with
 more than a yes or no, it's often very difficult to interpret its answer.
 Try your hand with interpreting a difficult infrared or proton NMR
 spectrum sometimes to see if this isn't true!
 As a infrequent visitor to this group, I am amused by those who deny with
 such certainty the existence of unusual phenomenon. "It's not
 reproducible" seems to be their cry. As someone who performs liquid
 chromatography, let me tell you that you can develop problems which are
 non-reproducible but are certainly real! That's why chromatographers have
 the (in)famous "Rule of Two": If a chromatographic problem doesn't happen
 twice, ignore it! : )
 In other words, though the problem itself was certainly real, but tracing
 it down may take a lifetime and thus not be worth the effort! To me this
 is indicative of the problem science has with apparently random or non-
 reproducible phenomenon (under which most so-called paranormal phenomenon
 fall).
 Personally, I doubt most paranormal phenomenon. I've never bent a fork
 with my mind nor seen a ghost or UFO. It's just that I'm not ready to
 dismiss everything not explained by our current knowledge as being frauds
 or misconstructions by the ignorant. I consider myself a skeptic. But, it
 would seem to me that true skepticism is equally skeptical and open to
 question our current knowledge as it is of claims of new phenomenon.
 Especially be doubtful of positions based on authority. In other words,
 not only question the Gellers of the world, but also the Hawkings! (not
 to mention all those government spokespeople!).
 Cheerfully,
 Ed