Re: How does Jarod pretend to be other people?

SCAVETTA  VITO <e0fq50ae@mail.erin.utoronto.ca> writes:
> But this doesn't explain how he can pretend to be a doctor.  You can
> memorize a medical textbook and not be a doctor; doctors (as do
> all experts) actually think differently than normal people.  (I can
> elaborate on this, but it gets complicated.)  My guess is that Jarod's
> brain is so plastic (flexible) that he can consciously change the way he
> thinks and really become a doctor, lawyer, or whatever.

Just curious, are you familiar with neuro-linguistic programming?  For
anyone who hasn't heard of it, NLP could be loosely described as a
discipline that is concerned with how the brain codes experience.  (It
is also a self-help franchise, but it's actually far more interesting
than that, IMHO) One of the goals of the originators of NLP was to
model expertise -- to find out what "expertise" really consisted of,
and teach it to others more effectively than the usual method
(i.e. hanging around experts for years on end).  To this end, NLP has
concerned itself with numerous techniques for exposing and modeling
subconscious thought processes, nonverbal communication, hypnosis, and
other such stuff.

This ability to model the subtle thought processes and behaviors of
others seems to me to be the essential feature of a Pretender... you
can have intelligence and an excellent memory, but without the
behavior and thought processes, you're just pretending with a
small 'p' :-)

If NLP actually works, though, there are many fascinating
implications, including the possibility that the skill of rapid
modeling can itself be modeled.  (Note, for example, that NLP practice
is usually taught in person, with the trainer using NLP techniques to
bootstrap the learner into the proper mode of thinking and behavior
required to quickly learn the rest.)  So, if you already had a
Pretender, you might be able to make more, given appropriately
intelligent subjects.  (Much of "intelligence" might possibly be
modelable, too.)  I wonder how well it would work if you could start
with a young, pliable child, and give him lots of opportunity to
practice...

Another way of creating a Pretender, perhaps, might be to find a kid
with a lot of creativity and a natural tendency toward dissociation,
and force him to use those abilities to the max during every waking
minute, with no consistency at all (except the inevitability of having
to become someone else tomorrow), after removing any shred of identity
he already had.  After years of this, you'd probably have a person
devoid of any identity of their own, with the ability to creatively
and intuitively invent the proper behavior and thought processes for
almost any situation... vaguely like a multiple personality, but with
no fixed identities at all.

[10 lines left ... full text available at <url:http://www.reference.com/cgi-bin/pn/go?choice=message&table=05_1997&mid=2998432&hilit=HYPNOSIS> ]

Subject: NLPTALK: Re: qh process?